Thursday, August 25, 2005

Character 1


Here's today's offering. I took this picture during a trip to Mexico. It was at a party for a whole bunch of the people in my Spanish class. We all congregated at the girl who appear's flat in the middle of the city, played some songs on guitar and violin. It was pretty cool. I was filming alot of the procedings with my miniDV camera. One of the things I caught was Lynn trying to explain some memory about ballet lessons or something striking poses as she often did. So on my return I took some stills from the footage I recorded. A pretty boring original image in itself especially as the resolution was so bad. So I started fiddling around with the picture and hey-presto. I always thought that (and do think) that images like this would make a really great looking comic of some kind. Especially lacking any above rubbish drawing skills. I am sure I'll get round to creating something one day. The image conjures what to me seem like obvious thoughts of martial arts and stealthy assasins. Particularly as the girl in question was oriental. Could you tell? Could you even tell what the picture was of? The hand? Arm? I hope it retains the appearance of a person. At least. I suppose in effect I have converted the original into something very similar to that seen in yesterday's post. Features appearing out of blocks of colour (the darkness) condensing down the image and giving the viewer less to observe. Simplifying the image and directing the eye. That's enough of that talk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home