Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Woe Of Audiobooks

Yes, woe indeed! Is it not possible for audiobook companies to find anbody with a remotely interesting voice with which to read their, on the whole, crappy books? I have always seen audiobooks as a real great idea for someone such as I. That is, not the most diligent of readers but who wishes they had time to read a heck of alot more than textbooks. The idea is further improved by the advent of the humble MP3 player allowing listening to said audiobook on the move and therefore filling boring moments. Now, I would like to add at this point that it is by far my preference to flip those pages everytime. The audiobooks I have partaken of in the past have always been either books I have read in the past and simply wished to recap or books which I felt would simply be a waste of my time spending precious hours wading through. I have one such audiobook in my possesion as we speak, the exorbitant price tag being negated by a free loan from the local library, namely Chronicles Vol.1 by Bob Dylan. For those of you not aware of this title, it is an autobiography starting during his Grenwich village days. The obvious attraction over all the other books being that it is straight from the horse's mouth, so to say, and not from some illiterate footballer but one of the greatest lyricists ever seen. Now, I also have a slight bee in my bonnet about biographies and point blank refuse to read them under normal events, dreadful tripe most of the times, not that I have read very many. There are always far better books to read than a biography. Anyway, getting back to the narrative, I took out this audiobook in good faith hoping to expand my knowledge of where some of the songs I love came from e.t.c. and may well still do. However, getting back to the beginning, they had to hire some arsehole who sounds like he's putting on a ham American accent. Will this detract from a promising title? Well as I seem to drift off each time I turn it on maybe so, could just be the writing though. Will let you know.

So this photo was taken during Haloween (don't care if I just spelt that wrong) celebrations. In a nightclub...blah, blah, blah. This reason I put it up here is because it looks cool. However it worries me that it seems to do it in an extremely 80's fashion, a decade I normally revile at, style wise. It conjures images of films like Flashdance and that Kevin Bacon classic, Footloose. I once bought my friend Alex a copy of this film as his dancefloor moves reminded me of the film, maybe it was just the tight black jeans and billowing shirt with under t-shirt combination. But did Kevin Bacon have Italian shoes? The picture looks grimey while attempting to look sheek, another 80's word. Did they have audiobooks in the 80's?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home