Saturday, February 25, 2006

Fun With Facial Hair 2

In the spirit of recent French (local) events my latest attempt to craft the perfect facial cropping, for myself alone, lead to this creation. I am told it is the Musketeer look. Unfortunately due to the lack of true stand out quality of my keratine creations I ended up looking more like a bum-fluffer being pulled by his ear than a Musketeer. This was a vast improvement on the preceding goatee which, keeping in the French spirit, I am informed has the same inspiration in it's naming despite a hop across the channel. The goatee, the natural sign of gits in whatever language you care to speak. I had a short but enlightening conversation with a friend about facial hair (I would use occassionally the word 'fuzz' but it seems an ugly word for something which should be steeped with more respect) and was reminded of my former comments that I was an all or nothing man. He tried to convince me that a natural exception to this rule is the big side-burn look as favoured by many rock luminaries, none of who spring to mind right now apart from the obviously desperate example of Nodddy Holder and this is my precise problem.
Anyway, back to the French. In a different discussion with the same aforementioned conversationalist another topic arose, that of French music. My friend explained how he had been regularly challenged to name ANY good French rock bands. Where he failed, it seems, I myself have triumphantly suceeded and I am here to let you all in on where you've been going wrong all this time. We start with Georges Brassens, I don't have a clue what he's talking about most of the time but it sounds great. A guy who sings about Sodom and Gomorrah and judges being raped by gorillas mistaking them for women has to be on to something. As you can see I am not completely ignorant but it was the music which held my attention at first.

Next are Les Ogres De Barback (page on Allmusic sadly lacking) meaning I really have no idea what their songs are about . However, and this is going to sound really crap, they sound so damn French. Accordions and all, and the songs roll along at such a pace it's possible to just be pulled along by the music. This comes from someone usually so down on what is stupidly named 'World Music' as the songs are just plain boring. They could be importing some great grand social theory on top of those ethnic pluck instruments but I don't have any idea and so often the music is just not enough to hold the attention. There is another rant about 'World Cinema' here but I shall quickly skirt around that with a subtle cough.......hu hu

So, some cool music from outside the shores of the United States Of Britian, check it out.
Unfortunately in my limited research to obtain this music by the usual low cost methods, all failed to register any results. Therefore this means you will all have to go out and spend real money on this stuff and we all know your not going to take such a big step as that for something that could be tripe. Well, more fool you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home