Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Mariachi Mayhem

Today's post isn't going to be as long as recently, they are really starting to drift on. I therefore qualify this post with the news that a good (Mexican) friend of mine is getting married very soon before departing to Singapore. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it across there to Mexico for the ceremony(Que lastima!).
This image was originally taken with my video camera during my time in Mexcio, the city itself. The flag in question has to be the biggest flag in the world. It sounds like some really bad tourist attraction but I assure you it's not. It is located in the Zocalo (the main square) in the centre of the city. The flag is easily equal to the sails that you get on tall ships like Shackelton's 'Discovery' and stands as a fine symbol of the government located across the square.
This talk of Mexico also reminds me of another story. On my first trip to Mexico City my friend Jorge, he who is to be married, was taking me for a tour around the sites of the city by car, at night. Much better when not completely packed out. After visiting the Zocalo and the Angel of Independance and such, I could see a plaza in the distance noteworthy only for the fact that it was absolutely crawling with Mariachis. Now Mariachis to many foreigners are thought of as guys dressed in extravagant suits and the classic Mexican sombreros who occasionally pluck up a tune. In reality these guys do wear the flashy suits and hats (of many different extrazagant colours) but are basically jobbing musicians. The idea being that if you wish to throw a party or impress a love interest you hire a mariachi band to play and they show up with their similarly dressed buddies. What we where at this time approaching was the mother load of all mariachi gatherings like the equivalent of Sunset strip for hookers. As we drew ever closer Mariachis of all colours of the rainbow were there for all to see. Instead of driving past, my friend began to slow down, and then it happened. Obviously their livelihood is not a funny business for these guys so competition it seems is high. Hence the now myriad of mariachis running toward the car. Like a Benny Hill sketch of some sort. Obviously seeing a white face only seemed to add to the chase. It seems funny that I only remember one of each colour approaching the car, like each group had its own runner, probably the youngest one or perhaps they took it in turns. Just as this muddle of mixed mariachis was nearing our position my friend pulled away. And stopped. Again they charged, egged on by our renewed encouragement and the thoughts of their prize, pushing and levering to get there first. Again we left. And again we stopped. I think you can get the picture now of this scene. A stream of maraichis now appeared strewn out along the street dislocated from the massed throng like a sea urchin's tentacle grasping and failing at food. I am sure that the sport of Mariachi baiting will soon be outlawed in Mexico and for one I can see why.
I suppose I should stop wasting time by saying "this will be a shorter post today", tomorrow really. Long may meandering tales of memories fill this page. Oh and some good images too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home