Tuesday, November 29, 2005

London Characters


During a recent brief visit to London, where I chanced upon some fine types, this occured. A challenge was set of drawing a portrait of our fellow drinkers (external company excluded) with your unfavoured hand. This is the fabulous effort of Ben Haggar esquire (but not Ted Theodore Logan) drawn with his right hand (being left handed). The task gave me the firm belief that I should stick to photography at least until I have done some serious practice in various sketchbooks. I have never really been inspired to sketch and rarely even doodle but really should more often after my pitious attempts were trounced by three far better draftsmen/woman. During our trip we managed to find two extremely excellent pubs especially compared to the usual standard of pubs in London. One of the main factors struck while sat in the second of the two, no music. No piped Killers to talk over. Hurrah! Perhaps this slew of portraits were inspired by our recent visits to both the National Portrait Gallery and to the Royal Academy of Arts to see a Munch exhibition, who was as I discovered a decided advocate of the self portrait.
Anyway, portraits = damn good stuff in my book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home