Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Brothers & Sisters

I bet some of you were wondering when I would get round to this one. This image has to be one of my clearest favourites of all the shots I have taken. Once again it was taken at the University of Essex. If I remember correctly I had been taking shots of the university's architecture for Joe's disertation about, funnily enough, the architecture of the university. I think it was the second time we had done this and some additional shots were needed. So anyway we finished quite late, or at least late enough for the sun to start to go down. Using a slow speed of film for these shots I had brought along my tripod. We then met up with Karla in one of the squares of the university for a drink. She was with some friends who we had not met before. Having my camera and tripod with me Karla and I explained that I took photos. I had with me some prints I had been enlarging, which I had put into portfolio style books so I showed them to some of the people there. Two Spanish girls were among the crowd. I had set up my camera on the tripod and was really using up film, thinking I might get some cool photos in the deteriorating light. And how right I was. So, the shot actually depicts the two girls looking at my photos. As soon as this photo came out I liked it, straight from the off. It all just seems so alive. The girl at the front's jumper in particular just looks fantastic, extremely palpable. The sheer closeness to the camera and the way they occupy the space makes them burst out of the picture. The background however really makes the shot. It just seems so odd. It's an odd photo. Something mysterious made out of the mundane. Well I think it's great and I hope you do too. If you don't well then you're a schmuck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home